The Uckfield and District Preservation Society (UDPS) was founded in 1968, initially to protect and preserve Nutley Windmill and to encourage interest in the local history and environment of the parishes around Uckfield in East Sussex. The Society, which is an independent charity and a Company Limited by Guarantee, offers a Membership that is open to all who share its stated aims, set out below.
a) The promotion and encouragement of public interest in care for the beauty, history and character of the locality.
b) To encourage the preservation, development, improvement and beautification of features of general public amenity or historic interest.
c) To encourage high standards of architecture and town planning.
These aims are achieved through our four interest group sub committees of Local History, Nutley Windmill, Planning & Environment and Bridge Cottage.
The Local History Group holds meetings, exhibitions and publishes booklets on subjects of local interest. This group also addresses research questions presented to the Society from our website www.udps.co.uk.
The popular research journal “Hindsight” (now in its 15th edition) first appeared in 1995. Past copies may be obtained from:
- Michael Harker, The Cottage, Eastbourne Road, Uckfield, East Sussex TN22 3ST
- Bridge Cottage Heritage Centre
- UDPS Charity Shop at Post Office Court, Uckfield
- Online here
The Nutley Windmill Group looks after Nutley windmill, a Grade II* listed building that was built around 1700. Although parts have been dated to circ. 1550, this working post mill is open to the public during the summer months. All work carried out at the mill (including major structural work) has been carried out using the skills and expertise of our enthusiastic volunteers. The Society has earned a European Heritage Award for its work on the Mill.
The Planning and Environment Group monitors development in the area with particular interest on any impact to either Listed Buildings or the Conservation Area of the town.
The Bridge Cottage Group looks after this building. Built around 1436, this important Wealden Medieval timber-framed house now forms the local Heritage Centre.
In 2007 we opened our Charity shop in the High Street to help generate funds to promote the works of the Society. This is run as a separate Limited Company affiliated to the Charity.