c.1570 Occupied by Thomas Maunser, grandson or great grandson of Sir Robert Maunser, ironmaster of High Town, Wadhurst (c.1483)
1584 Arthur Langworth (O) of Buxted, gent. to Edward Orwell (O), Registrar of the Archbishop of Canterbury’s Court of Arches. The Langworth brothers had many links with the Archbishops of Canterbury.
1631 Edward Orwell the Younger (O), Archbishop’s Registrar to sister Joan Hill (O) and her son William Hill (O) on death of EO. The Hills probably had London business interests.
1661 Edward Hill (O), gent. of Castle Barr, co.Mayo to William Peake (O), merchant of Lewes
1685 William Peake (O) to brother- in-law Simon Snell (O), merchant and tobacconist of London, on death of WP.
1708 Simon Snell (O) to son William Snell (O), merchant.
1709 William Snell (O) to Thomas Michell (O), gent. of London
1713 Thomas Michell (O) to Henry Colgate, miller of Uckfield. The Colgates, who were also yeoman farmers, had occupied Bridge Cottage since at least 1662 and now became its owners.
1799 (October) William Wood, husband of Elizabeth (nee Colgate) is drowned by the flooding of the River Uck. Bridge Farm and Bridge Cottage pass to the Streatfeilds (O) and by 1829 are part of the Rocks Estate.
The 19th Century
1841 The census returns show the families of John Sawyers and John Dray, agricultural labourers (probably at Bridge Farm) occupying Bridge Cottage.
1851 – 1881 In 1851, there are 20 occupants of Bridge Cottage, mostly paupers, labourers and charwomen. Names particularly associated with this period are Miles (1851 and 1861) and Wren (1851 to 1881).
The Morrises, the Johnstons and Others
The first Morrises appear at Bridge Cottage in 1887 and the first Johnstons in 1896. The Morrises finally leave No. 51 (later No.1) High Street in 1957 and the Johnstons No. 53 (later No.3) High Street in 1966, a few years before the Preservation Society assumes responsibility for maintaining the deserted building. The Winns are the tenants of No.51 between 1924 and 1934.
Names marked (O) were owners but not occupiers.