Visit Nutley Windmill
Come and see the oldest, only working open-trestle post mill in the country. Set in the beautiful landscape of Ashdown Forest, East Sussex. Nutley Windmill is a very fine example of the oldest post mill design, known in the country since the 12th Century. Nutley Windmill is over 300 years old. It was brought to its current site around 1835.
*Open Days are subject to there being enough volunteers to open the mill safely.
Entrance is FREE (donations are welcome – suggested £2/person).
Contact 01435 873367 firstname.lastname@example.org
Car parking for the mill is at Friends Clump – 400m from the mill. Map here
Disabled parking available on site.
Why not include a walk on your visit to Nutley Windmill that takes you around the beautiful Ashdown Forest. A 1.7 miles / 2.8 km circular walk taking in Friends Clump, Nutley Windmill, Millbrook Valley and Old Lodge. Download the walk here
We hope to open on 25th July subject to the governments Covid 19 rules.
Open-days dates for 2021
Sunday 25th July (S E Sussex MG Owners Club)
Sunday 29th and Monday 30th August (Summer Bank Holiday)
Sunday 26th September
Sunday 10th October
Opening times are:-2:30pm to 5:30pm or dusk
As well as the above we are open on most Wednesdays throughout the year from about 11am to 3pm (or dusk). Entrance is free but donations are most welcome. Suggested donation of £2 per person
Please note that some of the above dates may be subject to change or be unable to open due means beyond our control. We apologies for the inconvenience this may cause.
The earliest record of a windmill at Nutley appears in the Manor of Duddleswell Court Book dated 20th May 1836 in which James Wood is recorded as selling ‘all that piece of land …. on which Henry Sitford has lately erected a windmill’.
It is possible that before 1836 the mill stood at Kilndown near Goudhurst where a mill ‘disappeared’ somewhere between 1710 and 1769. Certainly mills were moved across country, a famous local example being a post mill moved in 1797 from Regency Square, Brighton to Shaw Road, Preston by a team of 86 oxen.